Clippers forward Nicolas Batum has entered the league’s health and safety protocols, the team announced in a release.
Batum will be sidelined at least 10 days, per The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
“I’m not sure the days, but I expect him to be out for (a while),” Clippers coach Tyronn Lue told reporters. “I’m not sure the timetable, though.”
This is a rare occurrence for the Clippers, who were one of three teams that didn’t have a game rescheduled last season because of COVid-19.
“Everyone is getting tested and a lot of guys got tested before the game, so just gotta see what the results are,” Lue said, via Mirjam Swanson of the LA Daily News.
“But it’s gonna happen. So last year, like you said, we did a good job of staying away from that, but it’s been something that’s gonna hit everyone at some point in time. Just gotta be smart about it and make sure everyone’s safe.”
Batum, 32, is 6-foot-8 and averaging 9.8 points and 5.5 rebounds in 14 games this season. The Clippers (10-7) defeated the Mavericks on Sunday without him.