While the Lakers continue to seek trades, they are indeed concerned with the here and now, especially when it comes to their inability to knock down perimeter shots.
Not only are they looking to make trades after getting a look at the roster, but they are also scouring the list of available veteran free agents.
Through three games, LA is shooting a miserable 21 percent on 3-pointers. As star forward LeBron James told reporters, “We can’t throw a penny in the ocean.”
Despite the struggles, coach Darvin Ham told reporters he wants the team to keep firing away. And really, what choice do they have?
“I don’t want any of my players to be hesitant taking shots,” Ham said, via Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer. “I don’t want to give them any type of complex. I want them confident in their ability to score from all over the floor.”
Here’s more out of Los Angeles:
- The Lakers have held trade talks with the Hornets recently and their interest in Charlotte point guard Terry Rozier “remains high,” per Shams Charania of The Athletic.
- As we relayed here, the Lakers have also held trade discussions with the Spurs in recent weeks, centered on struggling guard Russell Westbrook. (Full post.)
- The Lakers have also spoken to the Jazz about guard Jordan Clarkson, with the sides expected to resume talks at some point this season, per O’Connor.
- Along with all that, the Lakers could revive talks with the Pacers centered on Indiana center Myles Turner and shooting guard Buddy Hield, per O’Connor. It does not appear as if the Pacers will move off their stance of wanting both of the Lakers’ next two trade-eligible first-round picks to take on Westbrook’s expiring contract.
- While discussions always seem to take place, the Lakers don’t appear to be in a major hurray to make a deal. Per Charania, they want to give the current roster “the proper sample size” of around 20-25 games before making what could be considered a panic move.
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!