Guard Donovan Mitchell implied Grizzlies wing Dillon Brooks can be a dirty player after the two were ejected in the Cavaliers’ win on Thursday.
“That’s just who he is,” Mitchell told reporters. “We’ve seen it a bunch in this league with him. Him and I have had our personal battles for years.
“There’s no place for that in the game. This has been brewing for years with me and other guys in the league. You all see it. This isn’t new.”
Mitchell was fined $20,000 for his role; Brooks was suspended for one game.
- Mitchell has taken just two free throws in his last 117 minutes of playing time. His groin injury may be lingering and he may need rest. If not, the Cavs need to figure out a way to get him driving to the basket again.
- Point guard Darius Garland scored 32 points and passed for 11 assists on the same night that he was snubbed as an All-Star reserve. “He was brilliant,” coach J.B. Bickerstaff said. “He knew how important this game was to us and what we needed from him. That’s what leaders do.”
- In case you missed it, the Cavs have been linked to Knicks small forward Cam Reddish on the trade-rumor mill. Swingman Dylan Windler and a second-round pick may be enough to get a deal done.
- But such a trade for Reddish may just create more of a logjam at small forward — with Isaac Okoro, Caris LeVert, Dean Wade, Lamar Stevens, Cedi Osman and hypothetically, Reddish. Not sure that type of a deal would help.
- I still think the Cavs could use the expiring contract of Kevin Love as a trade chip ahead of Thursday’s deadline. They just need to find a team that’s a “seller.” The Hornets are one. The Raptors may be another.
- Magic shooting guard Gary Harris and guard/forward Terrence Ross are both available, per reports. They could be on the Cavs’ radar. But again, it doesn’t seem like either moves the needle, unless Cleveland feels the need to trade off LeVert’s expiring deal.
- Several league sources have told Hoops Wire the Cavs are taking trade calls, but have yet to make many. “I suspect that will change here soon with (Cavs president of basketball operations Koby Altman),” said one. “When he makes a trade, it’s usually one nobody else seems coming.”
- For the record, Bickerstaff is a fan of the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles. So he has a rooting interest in the Super Bowl. “I loved Randall Cunningham,” he said of the former Philly QB.
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!