Cavs small forward Caris LeVert was wearing the same color practice jersey as starters guards Darius Garland and Donovan Mitchell and forward Evan Mobley, as relayed by Danny Cunningham of ESPN Cleveland.
While Cavs coach J.B. Bickerstaff has remained tight-lipped about the starting lineup, several members of the organization have told Hoops Wire they believe the job is LeVert’s to lose. Two teammates told Hoops Wire the same back on media day.
Either way, Okoro is looking to improve his perimeter game, he told Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com. “I just knew it was something I had to work on. Everybody could see it. I know I’m not a perfect player. Everybody has flaws,” he said, via Fedor. “I’ve been working on addressing those flaws. Each year I feel like I have been getting better at shooting. We’ve been tracking it since I was drafted. I see the numbers. I see where I’m at now. It’s night and day. My arc is consistently higher. I always knew it was going to pay off sooner or later.”
- After missing most of the preseason with a small knee issue, power forward Kevin Love is expected to be a full go for the season-opener, Bickerstaff told reporters.
- In case you missed it, the Cavs signed center/forward Mamadi Diakite to a two-way contract after waiving him over the weekend. You can check out that full post here.
- Finally, one rival scout wondered whether the Garland-Mitchell backcourt will work. He also offered several other takes on the Cavs. You can check out that full post here.
- The Pacers did not sign center/forward Goga Bitadze to a contract extension by Monday’s deadline, meaning he will join others from the draft class of 2019 as a restricted free agent after the season, per Wilson Moore of the Indianapolis Star.
- Pacers forward/guard Aaron Nesmith practiced on a “limited basis” on Monday, coach Rick Carlisle said, via Moore. Nesmith is considered questionable for the opener.
- The fact Russell Westbrook came off the bench in the preseason finale, and may continue to do so, may prompt the Pacers to revisit trade talks with the Lakers, wrote Nicolas Kyle Pring of Fansided.
“Scottie’s an amazing basketball player and I don’t even think he knows it,” Young said, via Lewenberg. “He’s so young and he’s just scratching the surface.”