The Mavericks have been fined $750,000 after an NBA investigation concluded they purposely sat healthy players at the end of the season in order to improve their draft position.
Dallas had been in contention for a spot in the play-in tournament at the time. The league opted to fine the Mavericks and impose no further punishment.
“The Dallas Mavericks’ decision to restrict key players from fully participating in an elimination game last Friday against Chicago undermined the integrity of our sport,” NBA executive VP and head of basketball operations Joe Dumars said. “The Mavericks’ actions failed our fans and our league.”
Along with that, the league said the Mavericks “violated the league’s player resting policy and demonstrated through actions and public statements the organization’s desire to lose the game in order to improve the chances of keeping its first-round pick in the 2023 NBA Draft. The league did not find that the players who participated in the game were not playing to win.”
The Mavericks’ pick is top-10 protected. It will go to the Knicks otherwise. Based on the standings, Dallas would draft No. 10 overall, but that could change depending on the outcome of the NBA Draft Lottery.
The following was released by the NBA. pic.twitter.com/t92m7uPKR1
— NBA Communications (@NBAPR) April 14, 2023
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!