As for salary expectations, DeRozan indicated that while money matters, he is likely to be more focused on playing for a contender.
DeRozan, who turns 32 in August, has recently been linked to the Lakers. An unrestricted free agent, he averaged 21.6 points, 6.9 assists and 4.2 rebounds in 61 appearances with the Spurs this past season.
More NBA Rumors
- The Pistons have extended qualifying offers to point guard Frank Jackson and guard/forward Hamidou Diallo, per James Edwards III of The Athletic. That ensures both players will be restricted free agents. Jackson played the best basketball of his career in Detroit, averaging 9.8 points in 40 games.
- Keeping point guard T.J. McConnell is more likely to be a priority for the Pacers in free agency than small forward Doug McDermott, per J. Michael of the Indianapolis Star. That mostly would be the result McDermott’s “escalating price tag,” Michael noted.
- Should the Pacers retain McConnell, they will have to make a decision on what to do about young point guard Aaron Holiday. Per Michael, Holiday has been seeking a change of scenery for quite some time.
- Free agent guard/forward Haywood Highsmith has agreed to a deal with Italian club Vanoli Cremona, his agents told JD Shaw of Hoops Rumors. Highsmith appeared in five games with the 76ers in 2019-20, and is expected to play in the Las Vegas Summer League in hopes of landing another NBA deal, Shaw added.
- Bulls free agent center Daniel Theis may be seeking a large payday in free agency, K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago hears. Theis, 29, averaged 10.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 23 games with the Bulls, who acquired him from Boston in March.