Second-year forward Evan Mobley has had an up-and-down season, but he hit the game-winner to lift the Cavs over the visiting Suns by a 90-88 count on Wednesday.
It was a win the Cavs needed, given that their next five games are on the road, as they embark on another swing out West.
“Hopefully,” Mobley told reporters when asked if this is a game he’ll remember forever. “More to come.”
- Standout guard Donovan Mitchell finished with 20 points two nights after scoring a franchise-record 71. “I really didn’t have my legs tonight,” he said. “I was trying to will myself just to be solid.”
- Point guard Raul Neto played his best game since coming to Cleveland in the offseason, scoring 14 points and adding a major lift off the bench.
- Starter Darius Garland could return from a thumb injury later this week. He took part in Wednesday’s morning shootaround with a taped-up hand.
“We never should have been in overtime. We know that,” Carlisle told reporters. “We need to grow stronger from this. We’ve got to learn from some of the things that happened and we’ve got to build on some of the good things, especially down the stretch.”
- Forward Isaiah Jackson has become the odd man out as the Pacers have gone smaller recently, wrote Dustin Dopirak of the Indianapolis Star. Jackson has been assigned to the G League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants for a pair of games this week.
Star forward Giannis Antetokounmpo recorded 30 points, a season-high 21 rebounds and 10 assists as the Bucks went on the road and held off the Raptors in overtime.
It was the second triple-double of the season for Antetokounmpo, as the Bucks improved to 4-0 on the second night of back-to-backs.
“They (Toronto) are very physical. For him to find a way to get us over the top was huge,” coach Mike Budenholzer told reporters.
- Antetokounmpo added, “It’s more mental than physical, just being about to go out there and get the job done on a back-to-back always feels good.”
- After a brief return from a wrist injury, forward Khris Middleton (knee) has now missed 10 straight games. His availability for Friday’s home game vs. the Hornets remains TBD.