Restricted free agent forward Miles Bridges indicated he could make a return for the final month of the Hornets’ season.
“It’s been a long process,” Bridges said, via Larry Lage of The Associated Press. “I might be back in March.”
Bridges was coming off a fantastic season in 2021-22, averaging career-highs of 20.2 points and 7.0 rebounds, shooting 49 percent from the field and setting himself up for a big payday.
But just before he was about to hit restricted free agency, he was arrested and charged with felony domestic abuse after being accused of assaulting his then-girlfriend in front of their two children.
The case reached an end in November, when Bridges pleaded no contest and received a sentence of three years probation. Now, he presumably will be suspended by the NBA if and when he plays again.
“The NBA is conducting an investigation and I don’t know when that is going to end,” Hornets GM Mitch Kupchak said, via Lage. “When it ends, we’ll have more information and we’ll go from there. I’ll leave it up to you to decide what kind of impact that had on our team this year.”
The Hornets shot down an ESPN report last month that they were negotiating a new contract with Bridges.
Charlotte (17-43) is headed for the NBA Draft lottery and it’s hard to envision the team wanting Bridges to return at this point, with so little riding on the games.
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Miles Bridges says he may be back in the NBA soon, returning to play for the Charlotte #Hornets. https://t.co/LweBu4sCRO
— Larry Lage (@LarryLage) February 22, 2023
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!