Guard Bones Hyland said he is confident he can play either backcourt position.
“I felt like I never had the opportunity to showcase my playmaking ability and be able to play that point guard role a lot and show that I’m just more than just a scorer,” Hyland said, via Tomer Azarly of Clutch Points. “I’m actually a point guard. And I offer that at a high level.”
Hyland was acquired by the Clippers in a trade with the Nuggets. He will be relied upon to help fill the void of veteran ballhandlers John Wall, Reggie Jackson and Luke Kennard, all traded away from LA.
- Hyland brings a “high-charged dose of long-range shotmaking to the Clippers’ bottom-10 offense,” wrote Ethan Fuller of Basketball News in his breakdown of the team’s moves.
- GM Bob Myers said the Warriors intend to re-evaluate injured guard Gary Payton II in a month and are hopeful he’s ready by the playoffs, per Madeline Kenney of the Mercury News.
- Myers added that it wasn’t easy trading center James Wiseman, sent to the Pistons as part of the four-team Payton deal, also involving the Trail Blazers and Hawks. “That was a challenge but I hope he does well … moving him was something we did to help this team win,” Myers said, via Kenney.
- Myers avoided discussing the controversy surrounding the trade for Payton. “I can’t answer as far as I don’t want to go down that road of accusations because that’s all going to be handled at a different level,” he said, via Aaron Fentress of the Oregonian.
GM Rob Pelinka said he believes the trade of Russell Westbrook to the Jazz was probably the best move for both parties.
“I think it’s really unfair to put the last year and a half, or whatever period of time that is, on one player,” Pelinka said, via Jovan Buha of The Athletic. “I think the whole roster has to come together and fit. And part of sports sometimes is if things aren’t working, you have to fix them.”
- After making multiple trades, the Lakers could still be active on the buyout market. “If we see the right opportunity to fill a need in the buyout market, we will take a look at that,” Pelinka said, via Buha. “But I don’t want to definitively say that we’ll sign another player.”
- In case you missed it, Westbrook is expected to take his time deciding on a next destination, assuming he agrees to a buyout with the Jazz. We have that full story here.
- Meanwhile, our full list of available free agents can be found here and is updated every time there’s a buyout agreement or signing.
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!