Late last week, Wall expressed his wishes to start playing again, and met with Rockets general manager Rafael Stone again on Sunday, per Wojnarowski.
While this appears to be a hurdle, the sides still have some wiggle room to get Wall back on the court.
“There is still room for conversation and circumstances to change in this ongoing saga, and the sides will continue to talk as the season unfolds,” Wojnarowski wrote.
The Rockets have been holding out Wall since the start of the season in search of a trade. While not playing, he has remained around and even practicing with the team.
Wall, 31, is due $91.7 million over the next two seasons. He had been linked to the Clippers, Heat, Pistons and 76ers, among others, before the season. But those seemingly were mere rumors. He said he has no preference or “wish list” when it comes to his next destination.
“My job is to be here with this team, stay healthy and see what the future holds,” Wall told reporters back in late September.
But again, finding a deal has been difficult, given his contract situation.
“Any team that would potentially trade for him would want him to decline that option,” Wojnarowski said during a recent ESPN appearance. “Well, he’s not doing that, he’s not giving that money back.”
Wall appeared in 40 games last season, his first with the Rockets following the Russell Westbrook trade with the Wizards. He averaged averaged 20.6 points and 6.9 assists, proving to be a leader and a true professional in a losing situation.
“It appears a buyout is the only way for Wall to join another team, but the amount of money he would have to give up may be too high for that to be realistic,” wrote Arthur Hill of Hoops Rumors.
With all that in mind, it seems as if the Rockets are his best option to get back on the court this season.