Guard Austin Reaves should receive plenty of offers this summer as a restricted free agent, per Jovan Buha of The Athletic. Reaves was often the Lakers’ third-biggest threat behind LeBron James and Anthony Davis this postseason.
That very well could mean a full maximum offer sheet from a rival club with cap space to spare, making it difficult for the Lakers to match — which they seemingly intend to do, per Buha.
But if an opposing offer for Reaves is massive, LA might have to think twice about it. Maybe not … but maybe.
- While forward Rui Hachimura may not receive the type of offers given to Reaves as a restricted free agent, he also proved vital in the Western Conference finals vs. the Nuggets. The Lakers are expected to match offers for Hachimura as well, per Buha.
- In case you missed it, Mavericks point guard Kyrie Irving has said he intends to take his time in making a decision in free agency. Irving, of course, has been linked to the Lakers and a James reunion. (Full post.)
- The Suns are planning to interview several coaching candidates, including Kings assistant Jordi Fernandez on Thursday, and former Lakers coach Frank Vogel on Friday, per John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports.
- Vogel and Fernandez are just two of the reported candidates, joining the likes of ex-Raptors coach Nick Nurse, former 76ers coach Doc Rivers and Suns assistant Kevin Young, as we relayed here.
- An interesting name not on the list — former Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer. At one time, the Suns reportedly had an interest. But it appears they are not considering Budenholzer among the other supposed finalists.
- Meanwhile, Young has reportedly received a “strong endorsement” from Suns shooting guard Devin Booker, per Marc Stein of The Stein Line.
- Former Suns coach Monty Williams removed himself from the running for the Pistons vacancy, per Stein. Williams may have been the favorite in Detroit.
- The Mavs seem more likely to try to trade their No. 10 overall draft pick than keep it, though there are good reasons for either option, wrote Tim Cato of The Athletic.
- Opposing executives seem to believe Dallas will offer some combination of the pick and either Tim Hardaway Jr., Davis Bertans or JaVale McGee, per Stein.
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!