Despite the retirement rumors, LeBron James is expected to return next season and fulfill his contract, a source close to the Lakers star told Dave McMenamin of ESPN.
James hinted at retirement on several occasions — once directly with McMenamin — after the Lakers were swept by the Nuggets in the Western Conference finals. James, 38, suggested he may need offseason foot surgery as well.
- The Lakers do not intend to offer guard D’Angelo Russell the maximum contract extension of two years and $67.5 million extension this summer, per McMenamin.
- Many around the league have told Hoops Wire they believe the Lakers will try to run it back with their current core — then decide how things are going at the midway point, ahead of the trade deadline. Others see no reason for the Lakers to try to make any big, splashy moves this offseason.
- GM Rob Pelinka has indicated as much. “I would say this resoundingly clear: Our intentions are to keep our core of young guys together,” he said, via McMenamin.
- However, Los Angeles could try to shore up the point guard position this summer. McMenamin wrote about the three directions the Lakers could take. You can check it out here.
- We have more out of LA right here, as well as all the time on our Lakers page.
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!
Is that what theyre telling the media? Their “young core”?
Anybody want to say out loud who they consider their young core?
The Lakers have a young core?
Who is that? Davis? Reaves?
Did any reporters ask questions or nah..
Last I heard they traded their young cores for superstars.
Pelinka has been smoke and mirrors since he let that asterisk Championship team walk. Reporters keep biting. Blaming Russes. Blaming coaches. They HAD a great team at a great price that bubble year, then didnt want to pay their worth to run it back. Tell the true history.
Theyre supposed to be in the finals every year. Its LeBron and AD.
ESPN as the mouthpiece.