All-Star center Joel Embiid returned from injury and made every important play in lifting the 76ers past the Hawks on Monday. Embiid scored seven of his 30 points in the final minute in fact, as the Sixers rallied for the win.
“Whenever I was needed, that’s when I felt like I needed to turn it on,” he told reporters.
Everyone was left impressed, as usual, from coach Doc Rivers to Embiid’s teammates.
“His ability to take over games, especially in the fourth quarter, has been huge for us,” forward Tobias Harris said. “We’d have loved to have him back earlier. It was good to have him back tonight.”
- Rivers is hopeful the Sixers an keep things going once they finally have a full lineup. Guards James Harden and Tyrese Maxey should be back before too, too long. “Can we play the same way when everybody’s back? That will be the key for us,” Rivers said.
Center Myles Turner and shooting guard Buddy Hield have long been linked to the Lakers as trade candidates — so much so that Lakers fans even offered them applause in Monday’s game.
Of course, Lakers fans were less thrilled after the home team lost on a last second 3-pointer, which occurred after a Turner miss. (We have more the Lakers and that game right here.)
As for Turner and Hield, coach Rick Carlisle said he’s not surprised about the rumors and trade talks.
“It’s been great to be with those guys,” Carlisle told reporters. “I can see where people would have interest in them. I have a lot of interest in not trading them, you know?”
For now, though, it seems as if the Lakers won’t be able to pull off a deal and Turner and Hield will stay right where they are. And why not? Things have gone well, as the Pacers have become one of the league’s most pleasant surprises.
- Turner has also been linked to the Clippers (story) and Warriors. It was recently revealed he is leaving his agent to sign with CAA (story).
- Center Jarrett Allen (back/hip) and Kevin Love (thumb) are continued to be listed as out for Wednesday’s home game vs. Embiid and the Sixers. Lamar Stevens (illness) has been upgraded from out to questionable.
- It’s not been determined what Stevens is suffering from, but it is reportedly not COVID, by the way.
- How are the Cavs looking after 21 games? I examine in the latest Dribbles right here.
Looking for the latest NBA Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow Hoops Wire on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NBA News and Rumors for all 32 teams!