Star shooting guard Bradley Beal said missing out on the playoffs again was a major disappointment.
“I have to be more available and take care of my body better,” Beal said, via Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington.
The Wizards last won a playoff series in 2017, when they beat the Hawks. But GM Tommy Sheppard said coach Wes Unseld Jr. will return. But we can safely assume some changes will be coming to the roster — and some have eve speculated those changes could involve Beal.
- Meanwhile, guard Monte Morris said he suspects Unseld wants the Wizards to play at a quicker pace next season. “That’s going to be our goal and our identity. Everybody is going to be on the same page,” Morris said, via Hughes.
- Sheppard added that the offseason priorities are to re-sign forward/center Kristaps Porzingis and forward Kyle Kuzma.
“I know last year I took a step back. I wanted to come in this year and put a stamp on what I’ve been doing my whole career in the NBA and even next year take the next big jump too,” Hield said, via Dopirak. “Staying locked in. Credit to my teammates each and every day, getting me open and finding me in the right spots.”
- Fellow shooting guard Chris Duarte said he expects to have plenty of motivation for next season. “I’ll work on my getting healthy and come back next year be healthy and start the season healthy,” he said, via Dopirak. “Obviously I played a different role since my rookie year because we had a different point guard and I think I fit in well.”
- Forward Oshae Brissett indicated he hasn’t given much thought to his looming free agency. “Indiana’s been home the past three years. Without them, it would have been a lot tougher to be in the league,” he said, via Dopirak. “Being back here would definitely be a dream.”
- Point guard T.J. McConnell added that he thinks the Pacers should come back strong in 2023-24. “We showed the league what we’re capable of,” he said, via Dopirak. “Obviously, we hit a rough patch when (point guard Tyrese Haliburton) goes down. When you lose someone like that, it’s gonna be tough to win games.”
- Guard/forward Kelly Oubre Jr. said he would like to return to the Hornets as a free agent, per Rod Boone of the Charlotte Observer.
- Both forward P.J. Washington and guard Dennis Smith indicated the same, Boone reported.
- Forward Gordon Hayward said things haven’t gone as planned in Charlotte, but seemed to keep a positive outlook. “It’s just been unlucky these last three years,” Hayward said, via Boone. “I think when I’m healthy I feel confident about my game and what I can do.”